NITI Aayog commissioned an evaluation of Umbrella Central Sponsored Schemes (UCSS) under the Agriculture, Animal Husbandry and Fisheries sector. This evaluation was focused on identifying global and home grown best practices, developing case studies, outlining interventions, etc. to strengthen the implementation of various schemes under the Agriculture, Animal Husbandry and Fisheries sector.
Apart from scheme related information, the following specific areas have been covered during primary survey:
- The socio‐economic and demographic context of the rural farming communities
- Scheme related information from the primary sources i.e. penetration of any scheme, awareness, challenges and suggestions from individuals farmers & cooperatives
- Productivity of major crops, cost cultivation, cropping intensity and availability of crop insurance coverage among the rural agricultural communities
- Current productivity of milch animals, practices followed and service providers for such practices
- Awareness level of the farmers about agriculture, horticulture, animal husbandry, dairy and related government schemes in the sample area
BRIEF took up this study jointly with M/s Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu India LLP. During this study, BRIEF undertook quantitative as well as qualitative research covering all stakeholders across India, which include scheme beneficiaries, officials of relevant departments responsible for implementation of the scheme such as agriculture, horticulture, fishery, animal husbandry, etc., across the 12 states. The research plan & methodology was developed by BRIEF and specific research tools – KI Guidelines, FGD Guidelines & Questionnaires were developed for holding discussions with the stakeholders. Post analysis of data collected from primary sources & mapping the same with secondary data, a state-wise report as well as a comprehensive report on the effectiveness of the national program strategy was drafted.