MSME Sector Research and Consulting
BRIEF holds expertise in developmental and research work at SME level. BRIEF is working on various MSME development and need assessment projects for GIZ and SIDBI. Through these projects we have developed an expert group which has worked on various cluster development activities as well a strategy roadmap for clusters.
- Policy Research
- Identification of clusters
- Programs focused to clusters
- Monitor and Evaluate
- Training and Capacity Building
- Impact Assessment
BRIEF has been closely working on the clusters in India as well as in China. Chinese model of cluster branding can be a suitable model for Indian clusters and BRIEF has relevant experience of studying clusters in China. Our study on promoting CSR in Indian textile industry by developing a CSR framework for Indian MSME industries based on best international CSR practices focused on Chinese Textile cluster and suggested how the best practices in Chinese cluster can be replicated in Indian textile cluster.
BRIEF has been offering continuous services on MSME and international economy studies for organizations like Indian Council for Research on International Economic Relations (ICRIER), GIZ, National Council for Applied Economic Research (NCAER), Rajiv Gandhi Institute for Contemporary Studies (RGICS), etc. Established in 2008, BRIEF has worked on projects specifically towards MSME sector including Need Assessment Study in MSME Clusters, MSME Report 2010, Study on promoting CSR in Indian textile industry by developing a CSR framework for Indian MSME industries based on best international CSR practices. The marquee projects that BRIEF has worked on this respect as mentioned above showcase our capability to undertake exhaustive studies on MSME sector.
Some of the relevant studies where BRIEF has worked in the past:
- Study of SME sectors of five MENA (Middle East & North African) countries, GIZ, 2012
- Need Assessment of 10 Indian MSME Clusters, SIDBI-GIZ, 2012
- Finalization of NIC Report – “Policy Response in NICs to Global Crisis & Impact on MSMEs” – GIZ – 2012
- SME Report, RGICS/ SIDBI 2010.
- “Bankruptcy: Laws and Status of SMEs”, for the Federation of Indian Small and Micro-Enterprises. This was part of the larger project on fair competition and competitiveness of SMEs funded by the SIDBI to FISME.
- Study on promoting CSR in Indian textile industry by developing a CSR framework for Indian MSME industries based on best international CSR practices.
- “FDI Funded and Export- Oriented Mass Manufacturing in China: Lessons for Indian Manufacturing Sector”. ADB/ ICRIER 2010
- Technology mapping in 8 Handicraft clusters in India, National Center for Design and Product Development 2012. Clusters include Khurja, Firozabad, Saharanpur, Moradabad, Jaipur, Jodhpur, Lucknow and Delhi.
Social Sector Research
The Social Research Unit of BRIEF includes a multi-disciplinary team of experts drawn from relevant fields of social sciences as well as applied sciences like Poverty Alleviation, Health, Sanitation, etc.
We have experience in conducting a wide spectrum of studies including formative research, large-scale demographic surveys, need-assessment studies, impact assessment and evaluation studies, socio economic surveys, policy level document preparation, and capacity building of different stakeholder groups.
Research Issues Covered by Social Research Unit
- Impact evaluation of reforms
- Restructuring at Micro & macro levels
- Mechanism towards better governance
- Policy formulation on reform principles
- Rural Development Project
- Health and Sanitation Research & Implementation
Applied Economic Research and Advisory Services
Economic Research is one of our prime academic activity and we combine expertise of in-house teams with the experience and skills of external collaborators.
At BRIEF we have focused on the following thrust areas in a proactive effort to strive for relevance and significance in the segment. We have already done significant amount of economic research for various eminent policy institutions like NCAER, ICRIER, FICCI, etc.
Our focus areas:
- Macroeconomic Management in an Open Economy
- Trade Openness, Restructuring and Competitiveness
- Financial Sector Liberalization and Regulation
- WTO Related Issues
- Regional Economic Cooperation with Focus on South Asia
- Strategic Aspect of India’s International Economic Relations
- Environment and Climate Change
Market Research and Consulting
BRIEF has a strategic consulting unit which is constantly providing research based consulting solutions to corporate clients on various marketing needs. Our marketing team works on providing strategic inputs to advise our clients on various areas of:
- Market entry
- New product development
- Concept testing
- Feasibility of a product/project
- Strength Weakness Opportunities Threat (SWOT) Analysis
- Market demand analysis
Brand and Consumer Research
Through consumer studies we provide an insight into the consumer’s mindset in terms of consumer motivations for choice and usage of the product/brand, various user segments and the perceived benefits of the product.
We provide a detailed and overall understanding of the market and help in strategic decision making. Various modules that can be identified as our strength areas include:
- Customer Satisfaction
- Consumer Behavior Analysis
- Price mapping of competing products
- Competitive Communication
- Concept Test
- Brand-Name Test
- Price Sensitivity Research
Large Scale Survey
BRIEF has it strength in conducting large-scale surveys, both internationally as well as across India. BRIEF has successfully administered various large-scale surveys including census in different states of India like Jammu & Kashmir.
Our dedicated team of field surveyors and networking team have been instrumental in delivering successful completion of surveys on time. We believe that our network in remote areas adds value to our client to administer the surveys within project timelines.